[HarfBuzz] Positioning of Chandribindu character in Bengali text

Thu Feb 9 21:31:24 PST 2012

On শুক্রবার 10 ফেব্রুয়ারি 2012 10:04 , Pravin Satpute wrote:
> On 02/10/2012 04:06 AM, Peter Hunter wrote:
>>
>> G’day all
>>
>> I am using Harfbuzz (not ng) to layout Bengali text
>>
>> The Chandrabindu character (Bengali U+981) at the start of a line is
>> positioned by Harfbuzz above the Unicode character dotted circle (U+25cc)
>>
>> My users tell me that the Chandrabindu character “ is used at the
>> beginning of a line to denote the bengali "Iswar" (Late) word.
>>
>> So, it is usually used as the first character before a name of a person,
>> who is dead”.
>>

> Users expecting U+09FA[1] character, nothing to do with OTLS engine.

Hello,

To add context to the above - these are two different characters that look
similar. The Chandrabindu (U+981) is essentially a diacritic while the Ishwar
(U+09FA) is used at the start of the name of a deceased person (pronounced as
'Ishwar' for males and 'Ishwari' for females). While the latter occurs at the
start of a word, the Chandrabindu requires a preceding character to be present
in a word it is used in.

Hope this helps

regards
Runa