[immodule-qt] Re: language() and error handling (Re: Question about svn trunk)

Daisuke Kameda kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp
Mon Aug 2 16:48:39 EEST 2004

On Monday 02 August 2004 19:12, Lars Knoll wrote:
> > I thought that there is two problems. First, using XChangeProperty will
> > complicate immodule-qt implementation. Second, it will take time until
> > IM-switching mechanism in GNOME/GTK and KDE/Qt is communalized.
>
> I'm not sure it would complicate the implementation. We need to have the
> hook to handle IM switching in Qt itself anyway (most probably somewhere in
> qapplication_x11.cpp). We are currently listening to PropertyNotify events
> for the root window anyway, so this would only need a few lines of code.

I thought that the code like XDND was probably needed.
If you are correct, the implementation will be not complicated.

> The real issue is to make this work for both Gtk and Qt and to find a
> unified mechanism here. IMO this should include a mechanism for regular
> keyboard switching as well, so we can put both keyboard switching and IM
> switching into one place.

Even if the change is realized in the combination of specific keys,
it is necessary to make the same turn of changing in Qt and Gtk.

> > I think that it was not good to introduce this function at least into Qt4
> > from the above mentioned reason. What do you think about this point?
>
> You mean we should not provide any switching method at all until the above
> problems are solved? I could live with this, but I am uncertain how
> urgently you will a switching capability.

I think that QMultiInputContext offers IM-switching capability.
(Regrettably, this function is peculiar to Qt.)

And, I agree with the following opinions of YamaKen.

--
Daisuke Kameda <kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp>