[immodule-qt] Re: language() and error handling (Re: Question about svn trunk)

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Tue Aug 3 05:21:07 EEST 2004

At Mon, 2 Aug 2004 08:57:38 +0200,
lars at trolltech.com wrote:

> On Sunday 01 August 2004 03:28, YamaKen wrote:
> > note 1:
> > Inheriting QMultiInputContext is not required to implement an
> > IM-switcher plugin. QMultiInputContext is just a ordinary
> > plugin, so we can implement another one from scratch.
> >
> > note 2:
> > An IM-switching plugin based on XEvent can be implemented using
> > QInputContext::x11FilterEvent().
>
> Is this switching supposed to happen globally for the whole desktop or for the
> application that currently has the focus only? Both lead to different
> approaches as how one could implement the IM switching.

We should use pluggable switcher for both global switching and
local (focused context only) switching. Although
QMultiInputContext is implemented as local switcher, we can
implement another global switcher.

> A global switching could be implemented using an XChangeProperty on the root
> window (that's what KDE currently uses for things as the style change
> notification).

Although It is a possible and easy way, it is not the right
way. Most input method developers are going to establish
windowing-system independent IM-switcher as the right way.

Suppose a fullscreen terminal application under X. It may need
input method capability with the global switching, but it will
not want to be a X application.

> I would also prefer if we can try to get the same switching mechanism
> implemented in both Gnome and KDE/Qt, so that all applications will work with
> the same and you only need one switching application.

What you said is what we (input method developers) want. But it
should be accomplished without X dependency.

Ask anything about IM-switching to clear your doubt. I will
describe it into 'Input method switching' section of the class
description of QInputContext.

Regards,
YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp