[immodule-qt] introduce description() function

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Wed Aug 4 18:23:33 EEST 2004

At Wed, 4 Aug 2004 03:34:43 +0100,
liucougar at gmail.com wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 11:23:23 +0900, YamaKen <yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp> wrote:
> > At Tue, 3 Aug 2004 17:05:34 +0000,
> > liucougar at gmail.com wrote:

> > > What should be done if one plugin support several languages, such as scim-qtimm?
> >
> > Sort by languages[0] is a simple compromise. Any ideas?
> Ok, this is an idea. However I do not think it is good enough and acceptible.
>
> Maybe I can add a config option in scim-qtimm to specify what the
> language() should return. For Chinese users, they would prefer zh_CN,
> while in case of Japanese users, they can modify it to ja. Another
> idea about scim-qtimm and similar plugins which support CJK input
> methods is to honor the locale currently used.
>
> What's your view about these ideas?

I've thought about your opinion, and I withdraw the
suggestion. There are some reasons.

- sorting uim input methods properly is the responsiblity of uim

- all other immodules except for uim and xim (scim, iiimqcf,
  simple) is multilingual plugin, and there are still few
  plugins. So the sorting is not actually benefical for users

We should keep in mind the sorting feature and implement
appropriately in accordance with actual experience.

Cougar, Kazuki, Daisuke, how do you think about it?

> > > I do not think this is very useful, or at least there should be a
> > > config option to enable/disable this

> > But Chisene users that using zh_CN.UTF-8 locale will prefer
> > following layout. So I suggest sort by locale (language part of
> > locale, accurately). If it is not useful in some situation,
> > please show me an example.

> I admit that this is useful and more convenient. However, do you see
> anything similar in any other apps/libs which modify the order of
> items in a popup menu to honor the locale settings? IMO, the
> consistence of the order is also important for end users.

I also withdraw the suggestion by same reason. And I agree with
you about importance of the consistency.

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp