[immodule-qt] introduce description() function

LiuCougar liucougar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 05:34:43 EEST 2004

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 11:23:23 +0900, YamaKen <yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp> wrote:
> At Tue, 3 Aug 2004 17:05:34 +0000,
> liucougar at gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:43:51 +0900, YamaKen <yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp> wrote:
> > > There is another wishlist for QMultiInputContext. Anyone?
> > >
> > > - sort input methods by supported language
> > What should be done if one plugin support several languages, such as scim-qtimm?
>
> Sort by languages[0] is a simple compromise. Any ideas?
Ok, this is an idea. However I do not think it is good enough and acceptible.

Maybe I can add a config option in scim-qtimm to specify what the
language() should return. For Chinese users, they would prefer zh_CN,
while in case of Japanese users, they can modify it to ja. Another
idea about scim-qtimm and similar plugins which support CJK input
methods is to honor the locale currently used.

What's your view about these ideas?

> > > - sort the language groups of input methods in accordance with
> > >   current locale (place current locale language top)
> > I do not think this is very useful, or at least there should be a
> > config option to enable/disable this
>
> I doubt whether my opinion is clearly expressed. See following
> explanation.
I think I knew your idea very well at the beginning. ;)

> In our current implementation, QMultiInputContext shows input
> methods as follows (sorry, I'm using only uim input methods for
> explanation).
>
> --------------------
> uim-py (zh_CN)
> uim-anthy (ja)
> uim-skk (ja)
> uim-default (*)
> uim-ipa ()
> uim-hangul2 (ko)
> uim-romaja (ko)
> uim-hangul3 (ko)
> uim-tutcode (ja)
> uim-canna (ja)
> uim-prime (ja)
> uim-tcode (ja)
> uim-viqr (vi)
> uim-pyunihan (zh_CN)
> uim-pinyin-big5 (*)
> --------------------
>
> But above list is not useful for me because I frequently choose
> Japanese input methods. So I prefer following layout. I can
> choose Japanese input methods faster in the layout because
> Japanese input methods is always on the top in accordance with
> my ja_JP.eucJP locale (only "ja" part is used for sorting). Less
> mouse moving or cursor key pressing is required to choose.
>
> --------------------
> uim-anthy (ja)
> uim-canna (ja)
> uim-prime (ja)
> uim-skk (ja)
> uim-tcode (ja)
> uim-tutcode (ja)
> --------------------
> uim-hangul2 (ko)
> uim-hangul3 (ko)
> uim-romaja (ko)
> --------------------
> uim-viqr (vi)
> --------------------
> uim-py (zh_CN)
> uim-pyunihan (zh_CN)
> --------------------
> uim-default (*)
> uim-pinyin-big5 (*)
> --------------------
> uim-ipa ()
> --------------------
I agree.

> But Chisene users that using zh_CN.UTF-8 locale will prefer
> following layout. So I suggest sort by locale (language part of
> locale, accurately). If it is not useful in some situation,
> please show me an example.
>
> --------------------
> uim-py (zh_CN)
> uim-pyunihan (zh_CN)
> --------------------
> uim-anthy (ja)
> uim-canna (ja)
> uim-prime (ja)
> uim-skk (ja)
> uim-tcode (ja)
> uim-tutcode (ja)
> --------------------
> uim-hangul2 (ko)
> uim-hangul3 (ko)
> uim-romaja (ko)
> --------------------
> uim-viqr (vi)
> --------------------
> uim-default (*)
> uim-pinyin-big5 (*)
> uim-ipa ()

I admit that this is useful and more convenient. However, do you see
anything similar in any other apps/libs which modify the order of
items in a popup menu to honor the locale settings? IMO, the
consistence of the order is also important for end users.

- Old Chinese adage