[immodule-qt] introducing QT_IM_SWITCHER environment variable

Takumi ASAKI takumi at asaki.jp
Thu Aug 12 10:38:56 EEST 2004

On Monday 09 August 2004 15:23, you wrote:

> - Introduce 'imsw-none' switcher plugin
>
> - 'imsw-none' reads QT_IM_MODULE or the equivalent of qtrc, and
>   create the specified input context using
>   QInputContextFactory
>
> - Once the input context has been created, imsw-none does
>   nothing further. It only participates with instantiation
>   rather than proxing QInputContext like QMultiInputContext

That's a goot idea.
There remains complexity.  But It's acceptable for me.

> > And, your patch support QT_IM_* env. and qtrc.
> > But I think these are same layer and same scope.
> > So them confuse users.
> > If you want to introduce env. setting, deleting qtrc support is better I think.
>
> I think that the both two schemes are both compromises and
> temporary solution, but they are needed until more
> sophisticated solution has been developed.

But after release, It's difficult to delete or change it.

> Although the functionality is equivalent, target user group is
> different as 'GUI lovers' and 'text editor lovers' and
> 'system imtegrators'.
>
> We can reduce the confusion by warning to users on qtconfig if
> QT_IM_MODULE is configured.

Maybe QT_IM_* environment are set automatically by system script in almost I18N distribution.
So I think qtrc setting are not work for many users.

Both are really need?

If you want to introduce both setting, maybe it's better qtconfig have ignore QT_IM_* env. option.

> I can't imagine good solution. Any ideas?
>
> Generate the list and save it into a file such as
> 'inputmethods.dir' may be sufficient. But when should we execute
> it? What should executes it?

I'll write about it in other mail.(for Kazuki's reply)

--
  Che Che - Bye Bye
        From: Takumi ASAKI <takumi at asaki.jp>