[immodule-qt] introducing QT_IM_SWITCHER environment variable

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Thu Aug 12 17:38:54 EEST 2004

Hi Takumi,

At Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:38:56 +0900,
takumi at asaki.jp wrote:
> On Monday 09 August 2004 15:23, you wrote:
> > > And, your patch support QT_IM_* env. and qtrc.
> > > But I think these are same layer and same scope.
> > > So them confuse users.
> > > If you want to introduce env. setting, deleting qtrc support is better I think.
> >
> > I think that the both two schemes are both compromises and
> > temporary solution, but they are needed until more
> > sophisticated solution has been developed.
>
> But after release, It's difficult to delete or change it.

I can feel what you worried about.

> > Although the functionality is equivalent, target user group is
> > different as 'GUI lovers' and 'text editor lovers' and
> > 'system imtegrators'.
> >
> > We can reduce the confusion by warning to users on qtconfig if
> > QT_IM_MODULE is configured.
>
> Maybe QT_IM_* environment are set automatically by system script in almost I18N distribution.
> So I think qtrc setting are not work for many users.
>
> Both are really need?

I don't know what is provided on Linux distributions because I
live in *BSD which keep such configurations untouched.

Is there a GUI to configure GTK_IM_MODULE? We should rely on it
and withdraw the qtrc support if such GUI is already available.

> If you want to introduce both setting, maybe it's better qtconfig have ignore QT_IM_* env. option.

I disagree with you about it. It will introduce complicated
precedence overriding between QT_IM_* env.

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp