[immodule-qt] potential issue of the latest patch

LiuCougar liucougar at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 05:41:24 EEST 2004

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:17:17 +0900, YamaKen <yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp> wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:26:27 +0900, YamaKen <yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp> wrote:
> > > Although the plugin loading is unnecessary for users, imsw-multi
> > > requires loading all plugins to construct the popup menu. See
> > > QMultiInputContext::createImSelPopup(). I think that there is no
> > > way to avoid this plugin loading.
> > Maybe we can borrow the method in GTK immodule: a separate program to
> > generate the list of all available input method plugins (
> > gtk-query-immodules-2.0) when a plugin is installed/uninstalled.
>
> It seems to a good way. I had been thinking about same scheme
> after I post (so I note "waiting for YamaKen" in follwing TODO
> item).
>
> - we want something to know available input method names
>   (waiting for Kazuki, YamaKen)
>   http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/immodule-qt/2004-August/000357.html
>
> > Or a better (IMO) way is to cache the list after the first qt app
> > starts: all the following qt apps just use it (the key for the cache
> > can be the mtime of $QTDIR/plugins/input dir)
>
> Did you say about not caching something in the memory but
> avoiding unnecessary list generation? If so, it's a good idea.
Yeap, we do not need to load all the plugins to generate the list
every time an app starts.

> Comparing mtime of plugins/input/ and qt.immodules file is a
> efficient way.
Agree.

> - who should generate the list?
>   -> qt-query-immodules or the equivalent in Qt application
>      process
>
> - when should generate the list?
>   -> when any Qt application starts (regenerated when actually needed)
>   -> when new plugin installed/uninstalled (optional)
I do not think the first item here (when any Qt application starts)
is needed if the second item is required rather than optional: AFAIK
gtk does not have this mechanism.

OK, I do admit that if we introduce the first item, some hassels may
be avoided. However, do we have to check the validation of the list
everytime an app starts?

- Old Chinese adage