[immodule-qt] potential issue of the latest patch

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Sun Aug 15 05:17:17 EEST 2004

Hi Cougar,

At Sun, 15 Aug 2004 01:27:17 +0000,
liucougar at gmail.com wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:26:27 +0900, YamaKen <yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp> wrote:
> > Although the plugin loading is unnecessary for users, imsw-multi
> > requires loading all plugins to construct the popup menu. See
> > QMultiInputContext::createImSelPopup(). I think that there is no
> > way to avoid this plugin loading.
> Maybe we can borrow the method in GTK immodule: a separate program to
> generate the list of all available input method plugins (
> gtk-query-immodules-2.0) when a plugin is installed/uninstalled.

It seems to a good way. I had been thinking about same scheme
after I post (so I note "waiting for YamaKen" in follwing TODO
item).

- we want something to know available input method names
  (waiting for Kazuki, YamaKen)
  http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/immodule-qt/2004-August/000357.html

> Or a better (IMO) way is to cache the list after the first qt app
> starts: all the following qt apps just use it (the key for the cache
> can be the mtime of $QTDIR/plugins/input dir)

Did you say about not caching something in the memory but
avoiding unnecessary list generation? If so, it's a good idea.

Comparing mtime of plugins/input/ and qt.immodules file is a
efficient way. We can automatically kick qt-query-immodules or
the equivalent code in the Qt application process based on the
result.

My annoyence about the list generation is resolved as
following. Takumi, how do you think about it?

- who should generate the list?
  -> qt-query-immodules or the equivalent in Qt application
     process

- when should generate the list?
  -> when any Qt application starts (regenerated when actually needed)
  -> when new plugin installed/uninstalled (optional)

- users are required to find existence of qt-query-immodules
  -> not required because any Qt application kicks it automatically

- input method plugin developers and packagers must kick
  qt-query-immodules properly on installing/uninstalling
  -> not required because any Qt application kicks it automatically

#I'll be absent until tonight. See you again later.

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp