[immodule-qt] committing via QKeyEvent (Re: A "deadline" for development?)

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Tue Aug 17 10:42:53 EEST 2004

At Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:53:09 +0900,
krisna at kldp.org wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 10:28:45AM +0900, YamaKen wrote:
> > Hi all, check the updated TODO list and post your opinions.
> > - committing via QKeyEvent (waiting for Choe)
> >   http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/immodule-qt/2004-August/000376.html
>
> In korean keyboard, there is a case that one key commit one unicode char.
> Should I send IMStart and IMEnd event pair to commit a char immediately?

Yes, it is the intended way. QSimpleInputContext does so.

void QSimpleInputContext::commitChar( uint c )
{
    sendIMEvent( QEvent::IMStart );
    sendIMEvent( QEvent::IMEnd, QString(QChar(c)) );
}

Many languages result one unicode character for each composing
operation sequence, so committing via QKeyEvent is a natural
design for such languages. But if we allow committing the result
via QKeyEvent, applications may rely on wrong assumptions such
as "any user input can be filtered by QKeyEvent". To avoid this,
I had decided that all result have to be committed via QIMEvent.

Let me know if any other requirement about 'committing as key
event' exists.

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp