[immodule-qt] introducing QT_IM_SWITCHER environment variable

Takumi ASAKI takumi at asaki.jp
Tue Aug 17 13:01:17 EEST 2004

Hi YamaKen.

On Thursday 12 August 2004 23:38, YamaKen wrote:

> I don't know what is provided on Linux distributions because I
> live in *BSD which keep such configurations untouched.
>
> Is there a GUI to configure GTK_IM_MODULE? We should rely on it
> and withdraw the qtrc support if such GUI is already available.

I see why you don't understand my worry.

I investigated about some linux distribution.
These have there own Input Method setting system.
Please see last of this mail.

These are different.

Some don't support uim or scim.
Some don't support proprietary IM(ATOK, Wnn7, etc.).
Some don't support gtk2's immodule.

Some are intractive(ex. language-env) and some aren't intractive(ex. setim).
Some have GUI(ex. localedrake, system-switch-im).

User's setting file or xsession script are changed by using these tools and systems,
IM-related environment variables are set automatically by these systems.
So users don't need to know how to set IM-related environment variables.

After these systems support immodule for Qt,
QT_IM_* environment variables are set automatically.
In these cases, qtconfig's IM setting doesn't work with current code.
How to work qtconfig is unset QT_IM_* environment variables or
change some scripts to don't set QT_IM_* environment variables.

Both QT_IM_* and qtrc support was not bad for distribution that don't have default IM setting like *BSD.
But Them confuse users at distributon that have default IM setting.

IM setting system list.

Vine Linux: setim(vutils)

Mandrake(cooker): ~/.i18n, localedrake(?)
    http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/cooker-i18n/2004-08/msg00059.php
    Maybe UTSUMI san knows well.

Debian: language-env
    http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?searchon=names&version=all&exact=1&keywords=language-env