[Intel-gfx] Intel/Pineview graphics won't load 1024x600 resolution in X11

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Apr 27 21:22:26 CEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 14:16 -0500, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 12:53 -0500, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
> >> Any idea why it won't load the correct resolution?
> >
> > Because you're using the vesa driver, and you should be using the intel
> > driver.
>
> How do I get/force it to use the intel driver?  I thought
> that was supposed to happen automatically.

It looks like Ubuntu's driver selection mechanism doesn't think the
intel driver can drive that chip:

(II) No matches found for this device in /usr/share/xserver-xorg/pci

Which is pretty lols since it means they managed to introduce new
failure modes.  Outstanding work, cadet.

Simplest thing to do is remove the vesa driver, but that'll only work if
your kernel includes Pineview support, and I don't remember if 2.6.33
and/or Ubuntu's version of it includes Pineview.  Think it does though.

- ajax