[Intel-gfx] Intel/Pineview graphics won't load 1024x600 resolution in X11

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabrbedd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 21:58:01 CEST 2010

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Adam Jackson wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 14:16 -0500, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
>>>
>>> Because you're using the vesa driver, and you should be using the intel
>>> driver.
>>
>> How do I get/force it to use the intel driver?  I thought
>> that was supposed to happen automatically.
>
> It looks like Ubuntu's driver selection mechanism doesn't think the
> intel driver can drive that chip:
>
> (II) No matches found for this device in /usr/share/xserver-xorg/pci
>
> Which is pretty lols since it means they managed to introduce new
> failure modes.  Outstanding work, cadet.

First:  I _really_ appreciate your help!

I added 8086A010, 8086A011, and 8086A012 to a file
/usr/share/xserver-xorg/pci/intel.icv, and then I get:

    (EE) Failed to load module "i810" (module does not exist, 0)
    (EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
    (EE) intel(0): No kernel modesetting driver detected
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

So, I went back to /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf and set 'modeset=1'
(was 0).  When I do that, the Console initializes and uses a
framebuffer (which looks nice)... but when X11 starts is garbles the
screen and makes the virtual terminals unusable (like when vsync or
hsync is wrong).  I think the error messages are the same, too.

This suggests that I'm missing a kernel module, right?  What would
it's name look like?

> Simplest thing to do is remove the vesa driver, but that'll only work if
> your kernel includes Pineview support, and I don't remember if 2.6.33
> and/or Ubuntu's version of it includes Pineview.  Think it does though.

How can I confirm?  I'm actually using Debian/experimental's version
of 2.6.33.

-gabriel