[Intel-gfx] [ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-intel 2.11.901

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 11:20:09 CEST 2010

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 16:05:15 +0200, Marc Deop i Argemí <damnshock at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday June 15 2010 02:39:54 Carl Worth wrote:
> > This is the first release candidate in preparation for the upcoming
> > 2.12.0 release. We will appreciate any feedback we can get from
> > testing of this snapshot to improve the 2.12.0 release.
>
> It makes my system really unstable. Sometimes I can't even login :S
>
> The system just freezes :(

After a freeze, can you grab a copy of dmesg, Xorg.log, intel_reg_dump,
and /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_error_state. From my perspective, the
last contains the most interesting information (the batchbuffer executing
at the time of a gpu hang). If there is nothing in any of those, echo t >
/proc/sysrq-trigger and look for the stacktraces in dmesg.

Also what type of freeze is it? A complete hard hang, the system no longer
even pingable? The cursor continues to move, but no other screen updates?
The screen entirely frozen (or maybe flashing in a hypnotic pattern) but
the machine nevertheless is accessible over the network? Does VT switching
still work? Etc. 'Freeze' covers a whole multitude of sins, the more
information you can give us, the quicker we can pinpoint the cause.

Thanks,
-ickle