[Intel-gfx] [ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-intel 2.11.901

Marc Deop i Argemí damnshock at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 13:25:49 CEST 2010

On Wednesday June 16 2010 11:20:09 Chris Wilson wrote:
> After a freeze, can you grab a copy of dmesg, Xorg.log, intel_reg_dump,
> and /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_error_state. From my perspective, the
> last contains the most interesting information (the batchbuffer executing
> at the time of a gpu hang). If there is nothing in any of those, echo t >
> /proc/sysrq-trigger and look for the stacktraces in dmesg.

I checked some of those files (dmesg, Xorg.log) and couldn't fine anything.
I'll try again and will check the other files you mention

> Also what type of freeze is it? A complete hard hang, the system no longer
> even pingable? The cursor continues to move, but no other screen updates?
> The screen entirely frozen (or maybe flashing in a hypnotic pattern) but
> the machine nevertheless is accessible over the network? Does VT switching
> still work? Etc. 'Freeze' covers a whole multitude of sins, the more
> information you can give us, the quicker we can pinpoint the cause.

Freeze is... freeze :P

Now, seriously, the computer stops responding. I'm not able to switch between
VT nor to ping nor login to the machine via my cell phone. If I'm playing
sound the machine gets in kind of a loop with the last sound it played
repeating again and again.

I usually test the stability with the flash player on youtube because it's the
*fastest* way to make the computer freeze. With the latest RC it freezes in
about a minute of playing video as well as in the bisects I've been trying to
do. That doesn't happen with the 2.11 release.

Could it be a problem of the compiler? I recently upgraded to GCC 4.5 and
maybe the driver from the repos is compiled against the old 4.4? I'll give it
a try...

I'll report back when I'm done

Regards