[Intel-gfx] [ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-intel 2.11.901

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Jun 18 08:09:00 CEST 2010

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 18:34:43 -0300, Elias Gabriel Amaral da Silva <tolkiendili at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/6/15 Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org>:
> Hello! I'm, maybe, getting the same thing here. I haven't tested the
> release candidate, but with Xorg 1.8 and driver 2.11, and a
> kms-enabled 2.6.34 kernel, using gentoo, X just freezes. If I
> downgrade it to 2.9 driver and 1.7 Xorg, it runs (but if I do USE=hal
> at Xorg, it freezes, too).

Hi there, Elias!

> I have an Acer 532h (Intel GMA 3150, afaik). I've read your
> explanation on how to do git bisecting and it sounds easy.

Good. It really should be quite simple.

> I should test with a fixed Xorg version, right? Which one? Portage
> currently has this:
>
> 1.6.5-r1 1.7.6 ~1.7.7 ~1.8.0 ~1.8.1-r1

Before you can bisect, you'll want to identify a single component that
exposes the bug. Above you described a change of two components, (both X
server and driver), to switch from a broken to a working configuration.

So the first thing to do is to try keeping the X server version fixed
and see if changing the driver alone changes the behavior.

> I haven't tried driver 2.9 with xorg 1.8, because I supposed newer
> xorg versions were incompatible with old drivers..

I'd actually recommend using the newer X in both cases. I would hope
that new X would work fine with an older driver, (but there might be
some point at which the driver really is *too old* for a particular X
server).

In that case, you might need to bump the driver version up and hope that
it still works.

Good luck! And thanks in advance for any future information you might be
able to provide.

-Carl

carl.d.worth at intel.com