[Intel-gfx] [ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-intel 2.11.901

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Jun 25 08:23:11 CEST 2010

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 02:31:31 -0300, Elias Gabriel Amaral da Silva <tolkiendili at gmail.com> wrote:
> When using an 2.9 driver compiled for 1.7 xorg, and 1.8 xorg, X
> complains about ABI mismatch. Recompiling the driver is supposed to
> fix this, but, I get the same error I got while building from git
> sources. In fact I see it was already reported at gentoo bugzilla,
> http://bugs.gentoo.org/317585
>
> Well, I suppose I could just downgrade X..
>
> Is 2.11 and beyond expected to work with Xorg 1.7? [ hmm, every time I
> do this, I have to wait a while.. I'm using debian testing right now
> (Xorg 1.7.5, intel driver 2.9.1) and it's working fine. ]

Sorry about all this.

There's a tight ABI binding between the X server and the
xf86-video-intel driver. That means you can't compile the 2.9 driver
with the latest X server, nor can you compile the latest driver with the
X server that works with the 2.9 driver.

That means it's impossible to hold one of these projects constant while
bisecting the other, (or even just trying a couple of versions of the
other to pinpoint it as the problematic component).

That's unfortunate since bisecting would be extremely useful here.

For this specific instance, one might be able to construct a patch to
the 2.9 driver to make it compile against the latest X server. And then
one could carry that patch along while bisecting. That will be a bit of
work though.

In the future, I think the right thing to do is to put the driver back
into the X server repository. That would eliminate this problem
entirely, (for future versions), and bisecting either X server or driver
problems would work just fine.

-Carl

carl.d.worth at intel.com