[Intel-gfx] Dell Optiplex999 blank display

nick Nick.Belshaw at earth.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 30 17:22:45 CEST 2011

Hi

if this is the right place I do not know...but I really need help

I am trying to put latest Debian on a Dell Optiplex 999 which has
onboard Intel graphics but it hangs/fails on trying to start the
xserver.

the device is not recognised.

running the latest GParted-live disk the system starts and the X display
seems fine.

running the latest Debian-live the system fails as for Debian 'Squeeze'

Debian-live  Xorg.log shows video device not found while GParted-live
Xorg.log finds video device ok.

using fallback text console in Debian Squeeze to upgrade to latest
xorg ...still no good. blank screen and no text terminals..
but Xorg.log shows device found using 'vesa' driver.

if i write an xorg.conf file to force i915  Xorg.log shows device not
found again.

So the GParted-live distribution is at least getting stuff working while
the latest Debian stuff is not.

I have seen comments about modeset... no idea
I have seen comments about acpi-support and a bug... no idea.

if anyone can give me some help it would be great.
otherwise this is hopeless  8-|

regards

nick