[Intel-gfx] HD 4000: Passthrough for HD audio formats

Frederik Vogelsang frederik.vogelsang at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 21:03:02 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am using a Core i5-3475S on a ASUS P8H77-I. The system is connected
to my amp through HDMI. For some reason I cannot get passthrough of
DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD to work properly. On my HTPC with an ION2
chipset I can use

aplay -D hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2,AES0=6 -c8 -fs16_le -r192000 dtshd_test.spdif

and the receiver recognizes and plays the DTS-HD MA stream. On my
Intel system I am trying the exact same thing (different card name,
obviously) and the receiver only plays noise (shows 7.1 PCM instead of
DTS-HD).

Am I doing anything wrong? Are there any configuration options I am
missing or kernel module parameters? I am using the latest stable
xf86-video-intel driver and Linux kernel.

Regards,
 Frederik