[Intel-gfx] VT switchless v3

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Tue Feb 19 01:58:26 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 01:23:08PM -0800, Jesse Barnes wrote:
>> A few more fixes from Daniel.
>
> So one thing that crossed my mind which we should at least quickly
> discuss: How is userspace supposed to notice the resume? On a lot of
> desktops (and even Androids) the normal thing seems to be to draw the
> screensave/lock after resume, which means that we'll show the desktop for
> a frame or so. Which is not too nice. Is userspace simply supposed to draw
> the screen lock before sleep, or does it need a helping hand from the
> kernel to fix this issue?

Yup, I second that and I've mentioned it to Jesse before. VTs in
KD_GRAPHICS mode are already responsible for re-setting their mode
when you switch back to them after having switched away.  Surely they
should have the option to handle setting mode and potentially present
a lockscreen when coming back from resume.  In case of weston, we have
the option to handle this very well, since the compositor can launch
prepare a lock screen (potentailly launching a helper client to do
that) and just not set a mode or dpms on until the UI is ready.

Kristian