[Intel-gfx] Question about driver capatibilities - triple monitor?

"Kristóf, Csillag" csillag.kristof at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 12:41:44 CET 2013

At 2013-01-22 07:36, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> On 01/21/2013 06:05 PM, Csillag wrote:
>> But now, thanks to GIGABYTE's PR about Thunderbolt and 4K (
>> http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/323/4k.html ), I realized that it
>> might be possible to use a "DisplayPort to Dual-DisplayPort Adapter" to
>> split a DisplayPort 1.1 output into two channels, and drive two monitors
>> from there. (Of course the resolution is limited, but 1920 x 1200 is
>> just what I need.)
> Be careful.  When I looked into those "splitters", I found out that
> they are closer to "federators".  In other words, they take 2 displays
> and make them looks like 1 giant display to the operating system.
>
> So 2 1920x1200 displays would appear to be a single 3840x1200 display.
>
> This will give you the number of pixels that you expect, but your
> desktop environment is unlikely to play all that well with such a
> configuration.

That's not necessarily a problem.

I had good results with the fakeXinerama library earlier.
You divert Xorg's Xinerama library with this library, feed it a text
config file, describing what you want,
and then all X client applications that ask about the monitor layout
(like window managers) get this data.

With this, one can make any big monitor appear like several devices.
(And then you can maximize windows to the separated areas, etc.)

Of course you won't be able to use xrandr to configure the layout of the
devices, but if all you want is one constant resolution, and the devices
are placed in the proper order & orientation, this should not be a problem.

    * * *

I am more worried about the internals of this "federating" implementation.
Do I have to connect identical monitors, or identical resolution &
frequency is enough?
(For example, would two different Samsung 1920x1200 @ 60 displays work?)

> (If anyone knows of a device that doesn't operate this way, please let
> me know.  I'll almost certainly buy a couple.)
+1

    Kristof