[Intel-gfx] [RFC] drm/i915: Add sync framework support to execbuff IOCTL

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Mon Jul 6 07:41:55 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 03:26:12PM +0100, John Harrison wrote:
> On 06/07/2015 14:59, Daniel Vetter wrote:

> >>The thing I'm not happy with in that plan is that it leaves the kernel
> >>driver at the mercy of user land applications. If we return a fence object
> >>to user land via a file descriptor (or indeed any other mechanism) then that
> >>fence object must be locked until user land closes the file. If the fence
> >>object is the one embedded within our request structure then that means user
> >>land is effectively locking our request structure. Given that more and more
> >>stuff is being attached to the request, that could be a fair bit of memory
> >>tied up that we can do nothing about. E.g. if a rogue/buggy application
> >>requests a fence be returned for every batch buffer submitted but never
> >>closes them. Whereas, if we go the route of a separate fence object
> >>specifically for user land then they can leak them like a sieve and we won't
> >>really care so much.
> >Userspace can exhaust kernel allocations, that's nothing new. And if we
> >keep it userspace simply needs to leak a few more fence fds than if
> >there's a bit more data attached to it.
> >
> >The solution to this problem is to have a mem cgroup limit set. No need to
> >complicate our kernel code.
>
> There is still the extra complication that request unreferencing cannot
> require any kind of mutex lock if we are allowing it to happen from outside
> of the driver. That means the unreference callback must move the request to
> a 'please clean me later' list, schedule a worker thread to run, and thus do
> the clean up asynchronously.

Yeah, struct_mutex locking design is terribly, and we'll pay the prize for
that dearly until it's eventually fixed up. We can optimize it at least
with a mutex_try_lock.

Or we just fix up request tracking to not require struct_mutex, that might
be better. All the references we hold onto the request should point one
way with no weak references going the other direction, so this should be
possible.
-Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
http://blog.ffwll.ch