[Intel-gfx] [RFC] drm/i915: Add sync framework support to execbuff IOCTL

Tvrtko Ursulin tvrtko.ursulin at linux.intel.com
Mon Jul 6 07:46:49 PDT 2015

On 07/06/2015 03:26 PM, John Harrison wrote:
> On 06/07/2015 14:59, Daniel Vetter wrote:

>>> The thing I'm not happy with in that plan is that it leaves the kernel
>>> driver at the mercy of user land applications. If we return a fence
>>> object
>>> to user land via a file descriptor (or indeed any other mechanism)
>>> then that
>>> fence object must be locked until user land closes the file. If the
>>> fence
>>> object is the one embedded within our request structure then that
>>> means user
>>> land is effectively locking our request structure. Given that more
>>> and more
>>> stuff is being attached to the request, that could be a fair bit of
>>> memory
>>> tied up that we can do nothing about. E.g. if a rogue/buggy application
>>> requests a fence be returned for every batch buffer submitted but never
>>> closes them. Whereas, if we go the route of a separate fence object
>>> specifically for user land then they can leak them like a sieve and
>>> we won't
>>> really care so much.
>> Userspace can exhaust kernel allocations, that's nothing new. And if we
>> keep it userspace simply needs to leak a few more fence fds than if
>> there's a bit more data attached to it.
>>
>> The solution to this problem is to have a mem cgroup limit set. No
>> need to
>> complicate our kernel code.
>
> There is still the extra complication that request unreferencing cannot
> require any kind of mutex lock if we are allowing it to happen from
> outside of the driver. That means the unreference callback must move the
> request to a 'please clean me later' list, schedule a worker thread to
> run, and thus do the clean up asynchronously.

For this particular issue my solution was to extend the sync_fence
constructor to take a mutex and store it inside the object. Then at
destruction time, which happens at sync_fd->f_ops->release() time, it is
just a matter of calling kref_put_mutex instead of kref_put.

Seemed to work under some quick testing but that is as much as I did
back then.

Regards,

Tvrtko