[Intel-gfx] [RFC] drm/i915: Add sync framework support to execbuff IOCTL

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Mon Jul 6 08:37:57 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 04:21:28PM +0100, Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:

> On 07/06/2015 04:12 PM, Daniel Vetter wrote:

> >>For this particular issue my solution was to extend the sync_fence
> >>constructor to take a mutex and store it inside the object. Then at
> >>destruction time, which happens at sync_fd->f_ops->release() time, it is
> >>just a matter of calling kref_put_mutex instead of kref_put.
> >>
> >>Seemed to work under some quick testing but that is as much as I did back
> >>then.
> >
> >The problem is that it doesn't scale since everyone wants some other kind
> >of mutex to serialize the final kref_put. If something is supposed to be
> >cross-subsystem/driver (which is the case for fences) then we really can't
> >do that kind of leaky locking design. Imo we should have a kref_put_mutex
> >considered harmful sign somewhere ...
>
> I get the argument about everything wanting to add their own not scaling,
> but don't tie with the leaky comment? Also mutex is a pretty standard thing,
> especially since kref_put_mutex. :D If you look at it from that angle it
> kind of just exposes to the super class what the base class can do.

leaky not as in leaking memory, but leaky abstraction - we impose locking
internals for i915 onto users of the fence interface (somewhat at least).

> >If you have weak references somewhere and need to prevent the object from
> >disappearing untimely while chasing that weak reference then imo the
> >better design pattern is to use kref_get_unless_zero. If you need the
> >serialization the mutex provides for some other reason (someone is only
> >hodling the mutex instead of grabbing a proper refernce when they really
> >should grab one) then your refcounting scheme probably needs another kind
> >of fixup patch.
>
> I don't see how weak references can work since if the request goes
> information is lost, unless stored somewhere else.

So weak refernce is a pointer which doesn't hold a reference to the object
controlled with kref, but protected by some lock. Latest when the object
is destroyed we need to clear that pointer in the free callback of
kref_put (and so also grab the lock that protects that pointer). The
problem is that anyone else chasing that weak reference might race with
the final kref_put and increase the refcount from 0 to 1, which isn't
good.

There's two ways to do that:
- kref_put_mutex on the release side.
- in the acquire side do a kref_get_unless_zero _while_ holding that lock.

Two upsides of the later approach:
- You can have an unrestricted amount of weak references, each protected
  with their own lock. kref_put_mutex only works up to one.
- It doesn't serialize the final kref_put with the lock - doing that
  allows folks to rely on the mutex instead of a proper refcount to make
  the obj stick around, which is imo a design antipattern that I suffered
  through trying to cleaning it up agian a lot.

But that's really a tangent to the discussion here, I have no idea whether
this applies here since I didn't read your patch in detail.
-Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
http://blog.ffwll.ch