[Intel-gfx] [RFC] drm/i915: Add sync framework support to execbuff IOCTL

Tvrtko Ursulin tvrtko.ursulin at linux.intel.com
Mon Jul 6 08:21:28 PDT 2015

On 07/06/2015 04:12 PM, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 03:46:49PM +0100, Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:

>>> There is still the extra complication that request unreferencing cannot
>>> require any kind of mutex lock if we are allowing it to happen from
>>> outside of the driver. That means the unreference callback must move the
>>> request to a 'please clean me later' list, schedule a worker thread to
>>> run, and thus do the clean up asynchronously.
>>
>> For this particular issue my solution was to extend the sync_fence
>> constructor to take a mutex and store it inside the object. Then at
>> destruction time, which happens at sync_fd->f_ops->release() time, it is
>> just a matter of calling kref_put_mutex instead of kref_put.
>>
>> Seemed to work under some quick testing but that is as much as I did back
>> then.
>
> The problem is that it doesn't scale since everyone wants some other kind
> of mutex to serialize the final kref_put. If something is supposed to be
> cross-subsystem/driver (which is the case for fences) then we really can't
> do that kind of leaky locking design. Imo we should have a kref_put_mutex
> considered harmful sign somewhere ...

I get the argument about everything wanting to add their own not
scaling, but don't tie with the leaky comment? Also mutex is a pretty
standard thing, especially since kref_put_mutex. :D If you look at it
from that angle it kind of just exposes to the super class what the base
class can do.

> If you have weak references somewhere and need to prevent the object from
> disappearing untimely while chasing that weak reference then imo the
> better design pattern is to use kref_get_unless_zero. If you need the
> serialization the mutex provides for some other reason (someone is only
> hodling the mutex instead of grabbing a proper refernce when they really
> should grab one) then your refcounting scheme probably needs another kind
> of fixup patch.

I don't see how weak references can work since if the request goes
information is lost, unless stored somewhere else.

Regards,

Tvrtko