[LDTP-Dev] The strangest error

Ara Pulido ara at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 24 05:24:08 PDT 2008

Hello folks,

I have the strangest error, ever.

In Gnome there is an applet, system-config-printer-applet, which is
provided in Ubuntu (and I guess in Debian as well) by
system-config-printer-gnome package.

If I try to script something that just opens the application and waits
for existance, it works perfectly well in Intrepid Alpha-1. It didn't
work in Hardy, but it works in Intrepid Alpha-1.

The strange thing is that for Intrepid Alpha-6 it does not work, and the
LDTP version and AT-SPI version are the same.

Intrepid Alpha-6 is now in the Ubuntu repositories [1]

I have uploaded Alpha-1 to a temporal repository [2], just in case you
want to investigate any further.

Can anyone give me some directions to debug this?

What I have done:

1) Install alpha-1 ISO (you can use virtualbox)
2) sudo apt-get update
3) sudo apt-get install ldtp python-ldtp at-poke
4) Run script

For alpha 1 it runs correctly, but in alpha 6 it gives a window not
found error:

window_name: frmDocumentPrintStatus(myjobs)
Search window name: frmDocumentPrint Status(myjobs) - Document Print
Status (my jobs) - frmDocumentPrintStatus(myjobs)
ldtp-gui.c - 1247 - Window frmDocumentPrint Status(myjobs) not open
Unable to update context: frmDocumentPrint Status(myjobs) in appmap
resp_len = 117
Sending..
152
Response packet: <?xml version="1.0"
encoding="utf-8"?><RESPONSE><ID>MainThread119</ID><STATUS><CODE>-846</CODE><MESSAGE>GUI does not exist</MESSAGE></STATUS></RESPONSE>
Msg:
Bytes sent: 156
*** GUI does not exist
Received packet size 152
Received response Packet <?xml version="1.0"
encoding="utf-8"?><RESPONSE><ID>MainThread119</ID><STATUS><CODE>-846</CODE><MESSAGE>GUI does not exist</MESSAGE></STATUS></RESPONSE>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "kk.py", line 16, in <module>
    open_and_check_menu_item(mnuItem, wName)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ubuntutesting/ubuntu.py", line
54, in open_and_check_menu_item
    raise LdtpExecutionError, "The " + window_title_txt + " window was
not found."
ldtplib.ldtplibutils.LdtpExecutionError: 'The frmDocumentPrint
Status(myjobs) window was not found.'

If I update the system-config-printer-gnome in alpha 1 is still working
correctly :-S, but if I upgrade the complete system is start failing.
Which other packages should I be looking into?

The script is the same for both versions:

from ooldtp import *
from ldtp import *
from ldtputils import *

try:

    mnuItem = "Manage Print Jobs"
    wName = "frmDocumentPrint Status(myjobs)"

    topPanel = context('frmTopExpandedEdgePanel')

    try:
        actualMenu = topPanel.getchild(mnuItem)
    except LdtpExecutionError, msg:
        raise LdtpExecutionError, "The " + menu_item_txt + " menu was
not found."

    actualMenu.selectmenuitem()

    wait(2)
    response = waittillguiexist(wName, '', 20)

    if response == 0:
        raise LdtpExecutionError, "The " + window_title_txt + " window
was not found."

except LdtpExecutionError, msg:
    raise

Thanks a lot in advance,