[Libdlo] displaylink fb + xorg driver in user space??

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed Sep 16 07:41:17 PDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 02:56:34PM +0100, Stefano Panella wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 02:29:35PM +0100, Stefano Panella wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I would like to use my displaylink device just in user space (using libusb)
> >
> > Why would this be a requirement?
>
> Because I will need to use a different transport layer (not usb anymore)
> that can be accessed only from a user space interface, so I will need to
> map every usb packet to this particular interface (a kind of character
> device)

Character devices do not map to USB devices very well, if at all.  Good
luck with that :(

As you are using a different transport, I think you are pretty much on
your own here...

> >> I would like to transform the fb driver + the xorg driver into a single
> >> user space package but I have not experiences in writing and configuring
> >> xorg drivers...
> >>
> >> Do you think this is going to be difficult / possible?
> >
> > If you don't have experience doing this, then yes, it will be difficult
> > :)
>
> I agree, what I would like to do as first milestone is to map the usb
> kernel packets to the libusb ones (no problem for that), the part I am
> not very confident on is the Xorg side of the thing.
>
> Do you have any idea from where could I start to get some information?
> I guess maybe it can not be anymore a kind of fb driver...

I would start by just duplicating the current kernel driver with your
new transport, in the kernel, leaving the xorg portion alone.  That's
probably the easiest solution.

If you don't mind telling, what new transport is being used here?

thanks,

greg k-h