[Libdlo] Multihead X.org failed

Thomas Siedlich thomas.siedlich at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 25 12:06:37 PDT 2011

Hi,

here are some results of my testings.

I want to run a dualhead (the aim is tripplehead) setup with
a Displaylink and an Intel device:

Intel (on mainboard):
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)

Displaylink (HIS Multi-View II Adapter):
udlfb: DisplayLink AN2440D3

Monitor:
Eizo S2431W with a native resolution of 1920x1200

Kernel: 2.6.39.2
  with Bill Katsaks patch
  see <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libdlo/2011-June/000939.html>

X.org: 7.6

OS: Debian testing

Results
=======

:-) *** kernels udlfb (with patch) ***
Works (1920x1200 is painted green)

:-| *** mplayer -vo fbdev:/dev/fb1 ***
Works only if fb_defio is set

:-( *** xf86-video-displaylink ***
  from <http://projects.unbit.it/downloads/>
doesn't compile with recent versions of X.org
error: xf86Resources.h not found

:-| *** xf-video-udlfb ***
  from <http://git.plugable.com/gitphp/index.php?p=xf-video-udlfb>
Works only singlehead
If intel is configured as screen0, X.org unloads displaylink.
If displaylink is configured as screen0, X.org unloads intel.

:-| *** xf86-video-fbdev ***
  from <http://git.plugable.com/gitphp/index.php?p=xf86-video-fbdev>
Works only if fb_defio is set
Works only singlehead (same behaviour as xf-video-udlfb)

I think the unload problem is something like this
<http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libdlo/2010-October/000764.html>

As long as I understand can the Intel driver RandR only and
doesn't do Xinerama.
But in <http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12> is
written:
> RandR 1.2 does not support multiple boards [...]

Maybe this is the problem?
Has anyone suggestions?

My conclusion at this point:
It is not possible (at least at the moment) to use intel and
displaylink at the same time and I have to look after another
solution.

Thomas