Handling SMS storage full...

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Wed Apr 15 23:41:12 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 8:34 PM, Markus Gothe <nietzsche at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> I noticed that some devices store sent SMS on the device and other does not...
>
> However in theory a device which holds only 25 PDUs (Huawei) would be full rather soon; your milage may vary.
>
> Does modem manager handle with such scenarios? If so, how?
>
> I think of two ways: 1) Delete all SMS 2) delete the PDU after it has been sent.
>
> This is ofc given the premises that modem manager stores the SMSes.
>
> The problem with #2 is that we doesnt know if the PDU is being stored on the device or not. In case #1 we get at least a notification and are able to poll the storage status.
>
> I am ofc able to send 25 SMSes and check what happens when it runs out of storage ;-)

Looks like a question for ModemManager-devel mailing list? Or is the
question specific to a MBIM issue?

Anyway, ModemManager doesn't automatically remove any SMS. We just end
up showing the SMS objects in DBus, managing them (e.g. removing) is
up to the user. It's true, though, that we should also expose in DBus
the status of each storage (e.g. if it's full or not). We don't do
that right now.

The issue with MBIM is that the storages are hidden in the API.
ModemManager assumes there's a single "MT" combined storage when a
MBIM modem is used. We also don't implement Sms.Store() for MBIM
modems. I didn't dig much further, is there no error indication when
the storage gets full?

--
Aleksander
https://aleksander.es