[Liboil] GPL code in liboil?

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Wed Nov 2 15:24:03 PST 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 11:47:32PM +0100, Stephane Fillod wrote:
> I have some GPL'd code (which I wrote) that I'd like to see integrated
> into liboil. This code is part of the GNU Radio project[1], and the FSF
> holds the copyright by donation. Accelerated routines are mainly
> dotproducts for MMX,3DNow!,3DNow!Ext,SSE under x86 and x86_64, and some
> fast sine/cosine block computation. Some other code (not written by me)
> covers Viterbi, Treillis,..
>
> Since all this code is under a GNU Public License, and liboil license
> is a "Two-Clause BSD" license, how can this code be integrated?
> Can the library be dual-licensed ?

As I understand it, the FSF does not restrict you from releasing
code that you wrote (and assigned to the FSF) under other licenses.
However, this depends on the agreement you signed.

Assuming this is the case, you can contribute the code under the
liboil license (or equivalent).  I am unwilling to allow code at
this time that is only GPL licensed.  Maybe later.  However, I have
a hard time believing that some of the implementations are even
copyrightable, much less needing GPL-like protection.

dave...

--
David Schleef
Big Kitten LLC (http://www.bigkitten.com/) -- data acquisition on Linux