[Libreoffice-qa] Bugzilla Report Submission Assistant

Rainer Bielefeld LibreOffice at bielefeldundbuss.de
Mon Aug 29 08:29:23 PDT 2011

Hello Loic,

on <http://dachary.org/?p=838> I saw some new features that exceed the
capabilities I expected. So we have to think about possible uses and
consequences.

Some concerns in before.

A) When I started to think about possibilities to ease Bugzilla use I
expected something creating URL-links as I use on
<http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport_Details>. That's no
intervention into the Bugzilla system, I do not think that approval of
Freedesktop.org is required.
If the features you show need some deeper intervention into Bugzilla's
guts (to be honest, I do not know what you are doing there), may be we
should ask for permission. But It seems you did not read available
components from Bugzilla (a test Component I created in Bugzilla did not
appear in your pulldown).

B) May be they get a new Bugzilla version, may be TDF decides to use a
new own Bug tracking system next year (I don't believe, but you never
know), we should hold the Assistant as simple and flexible as possible
so that it can be adapted to new challenges.

Some Questions:

A) Do you use "merchantable" links (as you see on BugReport_Details) for
data transfer or some more sophisticated tricks?

My results from Test

a) It seems you wanted to test to create a Bugzilla submission page with
preselected Component and Subcomponent from "Assistant Frontend"? I
selected "Writer - Configuration" and that has been transferred
successfully to Bugzilla clicking "Daten absenden".

I prefer to terminate the Subcomponent entry with ": ", what invites to
complete the Subject line. Also if that will be done in the Frontend the
Subcompnent should be terminated so, but user should be allowed to
change that later to get something similar to a sentence into the
subject line.

b) It seems after Selection of Subcomponent a list of Existing LibO Bugs
with that Component / Subcomponent will be read from Bugzilla and shown
"somehow modified" in the Frontend? Interesting feature, but currently I
believe it's more useful to show the normal Bugzilla listing, because
there more data is shown and because it might be necessary to Edit the
search (too many hits ...). But of course it might be useful to show a
limited number of Search results. After a new release often many users
report the same bug within short time, and it might prevent from wasting
user's time if he gets the last 15 reports for that Component /
Subcomponent. If he sees that the bug already has been reported, he can
stop his report. We will have to think about that.

d) I did not understand very much from info on
<http://dachary.org/?p=838>, I do not know what "It is not possible to
use theJS implementation" might mean for our project.

So far my thoughts

Kind regards

Rainer