[Libreoffice-qa] Which nightly/daily build should be used?

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Tue Dec 13 09:45:01 PST 2011

Hi Pedro,

I think that you can't do a mistake. Any the suggested builds were good
for testing.

Pedro Lino píše v Ne 11. 12. 2011 v 23:28 +0000:
> The problem arises again:
>
> For Beta0 testing Petr Mladek suggests getting the latest from
> http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/Win-x86@6-fast/libreoffice-3-5/current/
> (this machine builds and uploads quite frequently)

This was the only place where a Windows build was available on Friday
evening. It does not matter what snapshot you use. Any newer build will
be closer to LO-3.5.0 final but you need not download every build. The
machine is fast, so there are not that many changes between the various
builds.

It is done with the default configure switches, so it might slightly
differ from the configuration used for the final build. Though, it
should be perfectly fine for 99% of testing.

> Thorsten Behrens suggests
>  http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/pre-releases
> (this folder contains the Win-x86 at 6 MSVC build from
> 2011-12-09_12.44.50 but machine #6 only uses core, dictionaries and
> help)

This site provides "official" builds before they are available on
mirrors. We use this place to do some pre-testing before we announce
them into wide public. The build appears here usually 1-2 days after we
create the tag. Thorsten announce them on the developers mailing list.

Thorsten put here the last snapshot from the Win-x86 at 6-fast tinderbox on
Friday, so people would test one particular over the weekend. It was
non-standard action and we do not plan to do such things for other
betas.

You might already find here the "official" beta1 builds created from the
git tag.

> and finally Fridrich Strba suggests
> http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/Windows_Release_Configuration/libreoffice-3-5/
> (this is a build that finished compiling at 11-Dec-2011 06:51, it
> doesn't have a log but it includes all 5 repositories)

It was full language build produced on the machine where we build
release builds. Fridrich did it with exactly the same configure options
that are used for the final build => this one was closest to what we
would release.

Well, it was non-standard action. The build was built and uploaded
manually. We do not plan this for other betas. There will be the
official beta build instead.

> I repeat my previous question: Is it important for testing purposes
> how many/which repositories are used?

I think that it does not mater. Every build has advantages and
disadvantages.

The official beta builds are done on the same machine that will be used
for the final build => you are sure that it is built using the same
compiler, has the same features enabled like the final build.

The build from Win-x86 at 6-fast has last changes from the git repo. So,
there might already be some bugs fixed, ...

Best Regards,
Petr