[Libreoffice-qa] LibreOffice QA call 2012-03-09 15:00 UTC

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Wed Mar 7 14:07:42 PST 2012

Hi,

Bjoern Michaelsen wrote (07-03-12 13:04)
> On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 09:55:10AM +0100, Cor Nouws wrote:
>> I have some explicit ideas on some of the items.
>> Should we attempt to exchange those before the meeting, or at least
>> mention them (briefly)?
>
> In general, just mention a new topic as a oneliner to add to the agenda. If its
> something specific and detailed I would propose to add the text to the wiki add
> add the link to the agenda. Feel free to do so so for this call, although I
> fear with this being a first call we already have more than enough as-is, so
> dont be angry, if things get postponed to a later call.

I understand the scope and possibilities of the meeting.
Will try to add some notes before - if I think it makes sense for the
moment.

>> Obviously QA work is not the same as development work, and maybe
>> people also (partly) step in from a different perspective. Thus a
>> one-to-one copy of the approach, that is so successful at the
>> developer side, will not do.
>
> gentoo and debian are just two successful example projects that are
> volunteer-only and do not do too much core development themselves -- indeed
> they do mostly release engineering and QA. And of course, we will simply copy
> LibreOffice development. As the examples show, QA can be volunteer-based and
> self-sustained -- independant of development.

IMO the question is not so much whether it should be volunteer-based or
not, but rather how to reach a situation where the QA work is reasonable
in balance with development - and preferable in the not to far future..
So, good to read that the Gentoo & Debian people did it. Is known how
they managed, or was it just there right from the beginning :-) ?

Regards,

--
  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org