[Libreoffice-qa] Unity Integration issues?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Feb 25 01:40:50 PST 2013

Hi Robinson,

On Sun, 2013-02-24 at 17:10 -0500, Robinson Tryon wrote:
> http://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/11626/unity-integration-in-libreoffice-40-doesnt-work/

	Thanks for looking into this ! so this is essentially a build
environment problem. If you want Unity integration to work - you will
need to get a build from your distributor.

	The essential problem is that we have to build on a -really- old Linux
in order to be backwards compatible. That old linux does not include GIO
and glib-dbus. Since the Unity menu integration not only depends on
glib-dbus, but is not cleanly separated in such a way that it can be
dynamically loaded on systems where that code is there - we can't ship
it enabled in our builds [ without loosing a lot of backwards
compatibility ].

> - Is there currently a source for builds with Unity menu integration?

	Sure - so downloading a PPA from Ubuntu should do it nicely. I believe
the same code also shipped with the last Ubuntu release as a back-port
(though I'm no expert there.

> - Did we miss something in testing the final rc 3? (and how can we
> prevent this type of issue next time?)

	This is basically an issue of how the feature was implemented, if you
do:

	git grep ENABLE_GMENU_INTEGRATION

	you can see the pieces that would need some abstract interface
implementing, and the bits that need splitting out into a plugin we can
dynamically load. Not a huge amount of work - a few man days perhaps.

	So - I guess we should release note this / tweak the features page to
make it clear that this is only available from distribution builds - is
that something you can chase ?

	Sorry about that !

		Michael.