[Libreoffice-qa] 2 forms for bug reporting

Stéphane Guillou stephane.guillou at libreoffice.org
Wed Nov 9 09:35:38 UTC 2022

Hi all

About reporting bugs for LO: we currently have two forms (that I know
of) that people might land on.
1. Directly from Bugzilla:
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=LibreOffice&format=guided
2. Linked from the Wiki:
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=LibreOffice;bug_status=UNCONFIRMED;version=?

The first one is the "guided" format, which is great for providing the
important bits like steps, results, version info, etc. with extra
explanatory text. But it doesn't allow directly adding extra fields and
attachments.
The second one doesn't have the broken down description that will be
helpful to provide essential info, but it does allow directly adding an
attachment and extra fields like keywords, URL, Blocks, See also...

To me, the second one is only really good for more advanced users, and
to reduce noise of successive edits. Newcomers should use the first one
because it is clearer, it has plain text explanations that guide them,
and it makes it less likely that they will use fields in the wrong way
(and that they will find it too advanced for them). However, I believe
the most important piece it is missing is the attachment field.

I'm sure there's quite a few things we could do to improve the
situation, but could we start with adding the Attachment field to the
guided format so bug reporters are incentivised to provide testing files
and avoid some back-and-forth?

The form currently has the following text:

    /*IMPORTANT:*//In case you need to attach to the bug, Please use the
    "Add an Attachment" link once the bug is filled. /

Is that because there was a limitation to add the attachment field?

Cheers!

--
Stéphane Guillou
Quality Assurance Analyst | The Document Foundation

Email:stephane.guillou at libreoffice.org
Mobile (France): +33 7 79 67 18 72
Matrix: @stragu:matrix.org
Fediverse: @stragu at mastodon.indie.host