[Libreoffice-qa] 2 forms for bug reporting

Stéphane Guillou stephane.guillou at libreoffice.org
Wed Nov 9 09:40:05 UTC 2022

On 9/11/22 10:35, Stéphane Guillou wrote:

> Hi all
>
> About reporting bugs for LO: we currently have two forms (that I know
> of) that people might land on.
> 1. Directly from Bugzilla:
> https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=LibreOffice&format=guided
> 2. Linked from the Wiki:
> https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=LibreOffice;bug_status=UNCONFIRMED;version=?
>
> The first one is the "guided" format, which is great for providing the
> important bits like steps, results, version info, etc. with extra
> explanatory text. But it doesn't allow directly adding extra fields
> and attachments.
> The second one doesn't have the broken down description that will be
> helpful to provide essential info, but it does allow directly adding
> an attachment and extra fields like keywords, URL, Blocks, See also...
>
> To me, the second one is only really good for more advanced users, and
> to reduce noise of successive edits. Newcomers should use the first
> one because it is clearer, it has plain text explanations that guide
> them, and it makes it less likely that they will use fields in the
> wrong way (and that they will find it too advanced for them). However,
> I believe the most important piece it is missing is the attachment field.
>
> I'm sure there's quite a few things we could do to improve the
> situation, but could we start with adding the Attachment field to the
> guided format so bug reporters are incentivised to provide testing
> files and avoid some back-and-forth?
>
> The form currently has the following text:
>
>     /*IMPORTANT:*//In case you need to attach to the bug, Please use
>     the "Add an Attachment" link once the bug is filled. /
>
> Is that because there was a limitation to add the attachment field?
>
> Cheers!

Oh, and I forgot to mention another extremely important feature of the
more detailed form: the *Possible duplicates *that appear below! That
would save us a lot of time categorising duplicates.

Would it also possible to add that to the new guided form?

Cheers

--
Stéphane Guillou
Quality Assurance Analyst | The Document Foundation

Email:stephane.guillou at libreoffice.org
Mobile (France): +33 7 79 67 18 72
Matrix: @stragu:matrix.org
Fediverse: @stragu at mastodon.indie.host