[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [re-PUSHED] Re-sizing handles ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Fri Nov 18 08:48:13 PST 2011

Hi Astron,

On Thu, 2011-11-10 at 13:26 +0100, Astron wrote:
> >        Tim also removed the pointless old/new handles code, so there is now
> > only one image to touch of each: markers.png and cropmarkers.png -
> > hopefully that is easier to grok.
>
> Great. Can we also remove the "small" handles along the way? They are
> now looking much too small with the new handles. In the new version
> attached, I already removed the transparent borders, so they look
> practically the same size as the large ones, but now will look
> slightly weird in situations where a 7*7 and a 9*9 handle are layered
> on each other (for instance in Impress: add a new text field, select
> it → see top left corner) .

	Interesting. Would it be better simply to add the capability to have
even larger handles. I'd like to do that by re-doing the markers code -
to add an extra size, we have 13x13 I suppose at the bottom right (do we
use them currently ?).

> I think that is not correct. I measured the anchor (in Gimp) from my
> screenshot and it seemed squished in both directions (ie 23*22).

	Hey ho :-) Tim is still chasing it, while doing other things.

> I wrote a message to Regina to see if she knows more, she said she
> never saw these before, so I won't theme them for now.

	Makes perfect sense.

> Lastly: attached is a patch (everything still builds and looks fine,
> yay) that does the following things:

	Wow - this is lovely, an unexpected prize :-) nice work there.

> * modify svdhdl.cxx to accept sprites where none of the elements share
> borders and the anchor is a 24*24 square

	Looks good.

> * modify sprites (for hicontrast, default_images and industrial (ie
> my sprite))

	Nice work, also nice.

> * add a "Glue_Deselected" handle type to svdhdl.cxx (and its header),
> in case someone wants to replace the little blue cross, but it's not
> wired up currently, it just knows the right image position to use – I
> hope I did that in an okay way [1]

	It's fine - I joined the dots there and ripped out the old code. The
good news is that connection points (when not selected) are now
incredibly more visible :-) the smiley in the screenshot reminds me of
my teenage years ;-) [ which is I think good ]. The difference between
selected and un-selected is perhaps not as large as it could be ?, see
the xmag output there ]. there also seem to be some minor gluepoint /
vertex alignment issues, but whether that is in the underlying
draw-shapes, or not it's hard to say: they look pretty awful in the
previous 3.4 code, that's for sure :-)

> * change the Industrial icons for the Points toolbar to incorporate
> blue handles (they used to be red)

	Lovely.

> Thanks a lot to you, Tim and Michael, for pushing the modern/classic
> handles change so quickly.

	Not at all :-) I pushed your changes anyhow.

On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 10:41 +0100, Astron wrote:
> Patch under MPL/LGPL3+, of course. Always forget to say that.

	So - if you can send a blanket mail to the developers mailing list
saying: "all my contributions to LibreOffice are & will be under
MPL/LGPLv3+" or somesuch - then we can link it here:

	http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Developers

	Then if you go through this rigmarole:

	http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/AccountRequests

	and send me the bug number, I'll get you setup with a commit account so
you can push artwork tweaks directly to master to your heart's
content :-)

	Thanks again for the great work !

	All the best,

		Michael.