[Libreoffice-ux-advise] writer+calc - anchor icons ...

alexander.wilms alexander.wilms at zoho.com
Mon Oct 31 12:01:34 PDT 2011

Hi all,It's nice to see how fast this is going :)I don't understand much of the code, but LO uses those bitmaps and takes the areas which contain the actual icon, right? Wouldn't it be much more convenient to use single (SVG) images instead, or at least a vector-based set of handles?Thanks for your effortAlex ---- On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 18:54:35 +0100 Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at suse.com> wrote ----  Hi there,     Last split out mail: On Mon, 2011-10-31 at 15:28 +0100, Astron wrote: > Lastly, there's the anchor image from Writer that is also in dire need > of replacement.     Oooh ! that could be pretty indeed :-) > What would be great: > * to know the location of these images in the git repository (sorry, I > really tried finding them, but there are too many icons)     Not certain, but I tried: cd sw/ ; git grep ANCHOR sw/source/ui/utlui/initui.src: BITMAP BMP_FRAME_ANCHOR { FILE = "anchor.bmp" ; }; sw/source/ui/utlui/initui.src: BITMAP BMP_FRAME_DRAG_ANCHOR { FILE = "danchor.bmp" ; };     Which looks promising, but in fact both of these images are 'missing icon' icons ;-) I'll add an easy hack to remove them & associated cruft when I can.     In fact the anchors are in the images attached - which have never been themed nicely (AFAIK). The second set have been 'improved' a bit, but its unclear if we use them. It took me about an hour to find the code (finally from sc/) - the handle object is a:     svx/source/svdraw/svdhdl.cxx     and we create in sc/ with: rHdl.AddHdl(new SdrHdl(aPos, bNegativePage ? HDL_ANCHOR_TR : HDL_ANCHOR));     In -theory- we switch between these two different images of anchor at the cursor blink frequency: // #98388# when anchor is used take upper left as reference point inside the handle     pRetval = new ::sdr::overlay::OverlayAnimatedBitmapEx(rPos, aBmpEx1, aBmpEx2, nBlinkTime);     But I've (personally) never noticed that - perhaps this is because the images are so similar ? or possibly it is just broken - possibly OverlayAnimatedBitmapEx is having a bad year. > * to know what's possible with these images – most importantly: alpha > transparency?     So - it -looks- as if all that good stuff is possible. It is entirely possible / probable that we should rip those anchor icons out of their sets and enlarge / prettify / alpha-blend them.     It'd be great if you could experiment with using alpha / improving the look of those in your LibreOffice images*.zip ? > * if someone could remove the additional UI/code > * if someone would make them themeable (if they aren't > already/strictly optional)     So - they are already themable, but (I guess) no-one ever knew how to. There is also a theme-inside-a-theme of the      sal_Bool bIsFineHdl(pHdlList->IsFineHdl());     that switches between the two sets; from 'SetFineHdl' only called from:     void SdrMarkView::SetSolidMarkHdl(sal_Bool bOn)     Which seems to be tied to the 'SimpleHandles' config setting, and I guess the other images in that bitmap are in fact the handles we use to edit line shapes etc. The question is - do we really want the "simple handles" mode / configuration option anymore ? it seems redundant to me and the handles look even less pretty.     Thanks for caring about this detail !     ATB,         Michael. -- michael.meeks at suse.com <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot