[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Possible change of Calc option : Expand references when new columns/rows are .. ?

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Wed Mar 20 12:27:18 PDT 2013

Hi Eike,

Eike Rathke wrote (20-03-13 14:36)

> On Thursday, 2013-03-14 11:25:43 +0100, Cor Nouws wrote:
>
>> Working with users, I quite often have the impression that it's
>> wrong that the setting
>>   Tools > Options > Calc > General >
>>     Expand references when new columns/rows are inserted
>> is set to OFF by default.
>>
>> Objections to change that to ON ?
>
> It may have unwanted effects, most users probably are not aware that
> every (!) expression that references an adjacent range would have that
> range extended and suddenly calculate differently, probably even
> silently. Those users who are aware can easily change that option.

Initially I thought about that too. But I expect the situation to be
rather rare, that someone inserts a row / column, directly adjacent to a
referenced range, without wanting a range to extend. (Hmmm, maybe that's
likely for rows rather then columns.. )
OTOH I really often see people having to change formulae when a row is
inserted, just because of this option, while they are not aware of it...
(Ah well, a good reason to give training of course... ;-) )

Better/more thoughts?

--
  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org