[Libreoffice] Script to find undocumented classes

Tor Lillqvist tlillqvist at novell.com
Wed Dec 1 00:22:38 PST 2010

> After having years of experience using a nice, intuitive
> and well-documented APIs (Qt,KDE),

But surely you should realize the causality here? It is exactly your years of experience with them that makes Qt and KDE seem nice and intuitive.

It is extremely hard, probably impossible, to come up with an objective way to indicate what is intuitive. As the old saying goes, the only intuitive thing (for a mammal) is the nipple. Everything else is learned.

The same argumentation is seen over and over again in all areas of software... "I have used Photoshop for years, it is so intuitive, GIMP sucks." "I have used Windows for years, it is so intuitive, Linux sucks." (Intentionally just saying "Linux" here because people who make that claim hardly know which FLOSS desktop environment they are referring to.) "I have used Fortran for years, it is so intuitive for numerical programming."

I am sure it is not hard to find people who think the OOo code APIs are elegant, consistent and intuitive. And they would be equally right.

> So I find any suggesting that docs are not necessary (or valueing merging
> higher) to be eventually shooting ourselves in the foot.

Personally I think it would be very nice if source files had just a few lines of comment telling what they are about, from a very high perspective. Every time I am searching for the implementation of some functionality in the OOo/LO codebase, I find myself looking at source files with vaguely correct sounding file names (and vaguely correctly sounding class names inside), but no clue if it actually is what I am looking for.

(Yeah, now that we have forked off the codebase, I of course should take up the habit of adding such a few comment lines every time I find out what the code in some particular source file does, especially in cases where one can easily be mislead and spend hours looking at irrelevant code before realizing...)

--tml