[Libreoffice] Comments on RC1

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Tue Dec 7 05:17:28 PST 2010

Hi Chris, Jean-Baptiste, all,

Chris Carpenter wrote (07-12-10 06:26)
> On 12/06/2010 05:15 PM, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:

>> Why not grouping all installation tasks in the language pack ?
>> 1/ the user download the language pack he want
>> 2/ he installs this language pack and its installer ask the user to
>> provide the archive of the core application or to give the permission to
>> download it.
>> 3/ if the user want add another language pack to an existing
>> installation, the installer must be sufficiently smart to detect it and
>> just add the new language.
>>
>> Proceding this way, we need only one file for the core application
>> without duplication through all localizations.

> In my opinion, installation should go like this:
>
> 1. Download a generic installer with a minimal selection of languages
> 2. Part of the installer asks if you want to install other languages and
> pulls a list from a mirror.
> 3. If you want one, you choose it and it is downloaded.
> 4. You get to choose where to install (pet peeve of mine that that is
> not currently offered[at least in beta 3, I haven't actually installed
> rc1 on windows yet])
> 5. Install continues as usual
>
> If not, then the other way it -has- to be is to offer and installer in
> every language(shouldn't this be how it should be anyways?).

I have a third option for the work flow / installation:

1. Download the 'default install-LibO' (with en_US (or en_UK) and
installer localized for all languages);
2. The installer works (automatically) in the appropriate language;
3. During (at the end of) the user is prompted to download the
appropriate l10n-packaged (and informed about how that can be done later).

Regards,
Cor