[Libreoffice] Comments on RC1

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Wed Dec 8 01:20:16 PST 2010

Hi Alexander,

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 10:04 +0100, Alexander Thurgood wrote:
> In countries where power supplies are intermittent, or irregular, it
> matters a great deal. If your phone or electricity lines crap out part
> way through the download, and you were on a pay-per-minute connection,
> what would you do ? Risk downloading it, or go and obtain a pirated copy
> of some other more freely available software suite ?

	Would you download a copy of that proprietary suite instead ? or would
you get it on CD ? Ultimately, I'd love to see some Ubuntu style ship-it
service to provide CDs to serve the 3rd world cheaply. As/when we have a
foundation and funding in place that seems like an obvious use of funds.

> One way (but not the only way) of doing this is of course to
> reduce unnecessary bloat.

	We have a lot of bloat. We hate it. Removing it takes time. We are
investing resources in doing that. Please be patient.

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 01:33 -0500, Marc Paré wrote:
> I, for one, would not be upset if the release is put back if it means
> delivering a better product. I don't believe that there will be much
> public backlash either.

	Our product currently has -so- much scope for being better :-) that if
we delay releasing everytime we find something that could be better we
will simply never release :-) More complicated than this is the fact
that we already have a better (smaller) product: which is the
development branch - that is in quite a good state, and improving fast.
So - by substantially delaying this release people end up not getting
the improvements - and the end-user's goodness, time-of-use product gets
worse.

	Nevertheless - the point about image size is well made, and I am
working on reducing it as a priority; how far we get for this release
remains to be seen, the more people helping, building on Windows etc.
the better.

	Regards,

		Michael.