[Libreoffice] sw: numbering misbehaviour

Octavio Alvarez alvarezp at alvarezp.ods.org
Wed Dec 22 10:34:05 PST 2010

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:50:07 -0800, Caolán McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hum, a little bit of a mess I guess. I suppose we need to decide what we
> want to happen, and I missed out on the earlier discussions about this.
> so here's what we've got at the moment I think ?

My tests on LO 3.3 Beta show otherwise. I'll interpost.

> a) Ctrl+shift+x is bound to "Remove Direct Character formatting" and
> affects just character formatting.

So *that* is what it does! :-O

See
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/ooo-build/2010-February/000542.html

where I didn't know what it did. So, when it is at the end of a
paragraph, it will set character style to "Default" and remove hard
character formatting for new text. Basically it emulates the "move
past the formatting end-markers".

I find its current name to be inaccurate, as it also sets character
formatting to Default. I guess we could rename this to something else
like "Continue with unformatted text".

> b) Ctrl+M is bound to "Default Formatting" and affects all formatting,
> including paragraph stuff

Not "all". "Default formatting" will remove direct character formatting
and direct paragraph formatting. Styles won't be affected (see same
thread). It will also depend on where the current cursor and selection
is to decide what direct format to remove.

It could be renamed too to something more accurate, like "Clear hard
formatting" or "Clear direct formatting".

> c) We don't have a "Remove Character formatting" which would strip off
> character formatting + character styles.

Right, except when the cursor is at the end of the line, in which we have
(a).

As a historic note, that's what "Default formatting" did before I changed
it on the before-mentioned patch. Now it is a two-step process: apply
Default style + (b).

This change was made for consistency. Before, "Default formatting" would:
* Not remove paragraph style.
* Remove directly-applied paragraph formatting.
* Remove character style.
* Remove directly-applied character formatting.

... which is inconsistent. There was no way of cleaning hard formatting
 from a full document using only one step.

> Where "Direct character formatting" is character "formatting that you
> applied without using styles" and
>
> "Default Formatting" is documented to be "Remove direct formatting and
> formatting by character styles from the selection".

Yes. This documentation supports the previous, inconsistent behavior.

> So what I would expect then is that "Remove direct character formatting"
> should remove character formatting that is not part of a style. So
> something that has a character style applied to it should retain that
> character style after "remove direct character formatting" is used.
>
> And what I would expect "Default formatting" to do is to remove the
> character style as well.

No, that's precisely what I changed in March (and thus, breaking the
current documentation):

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/writer/commit/?id=985b180a2

Regards.