[Libreoffice] Calc usability improvements

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Fri Nov 12 04:57:07 PST 2010

At 5:32am -0500 Fri, 12 Nov 2010, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Might be a good easy-hack; how we tell the user in an unobtrusive
> way that this has happened, I don't know - some good UI ideas there
> appreciated; the 'status bar' is not such a great plan I suspect for
> this. "alpha transparent, hovering notifications" are a nice idea
> too but ... ;-)

Ooh, good call!  Though I think we'd need to further spec out what we'd
like to happen.  See below.

>> Yeah, I don't see the value in this warning at all but if it is
>> useful at all to anybody I would think a less obtrusive, after the
>> fact quiet notification that existing date was overwritten would
>> make more sense to me.
>
> I wonder if switching the polarity of the check-box - so it is checked
> might help people 'see' it, and thus un-check it to get rid of it
> (some Mozilla dialogs do that I guess ?).

Switching the check box polarity is a good start but now that I think
about it, having a pop-up at all as the default case is the problem.
The thought process for the information bar was that it *is* noticed,
but also can be ignored.  My issue with a pop up that demands attention
is that it now messes with my workflow.  When I'm in the middle of
solving a problem, however small, I want to take it completion.  With
the pop up, I have to stop and respond.  With the ignorable information
bar, I can note it, but get to whatever the issue is on my own terms.

Thoughts?

Kevin