[Libreoffice] Calc usability improvements

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at novell.com
Fri Nov 12 06:24:29 PST 2010

Hi Kevin,

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 07:55 -0500, Kevin Hunter wrote:

> This leads to a perhaps bigger thought process of generally all our
> shortcuts and actions.  Is there a list somewhere?  Or are these
> piecemeal throughout the code?  I do see Tools->Customize, which begins
> to address the key mappings.  But what about the "random" settings
> throughout LO like this?

All key bindings are centralized in a single location as they should be
(in Tools - Customize).  Shift-Delete is no exception, though it is
under global key binding (LibreOffice) as opposed to the application key
binding (Calc).

In a newer beta which should be out soon, you'll see a new options page
'Compatibility' under LibreOffice Calc to switch between LibreOffice's
default key bindings and the old OOo legacy.

http://kohei.us/2010/10/15/key-binding-compatibility-options-take-2/

>  From bitter experience with my father, this is also the kind of muscle
> memory that gets slowly customized ("fixed") over time, and sometimes
> lost when I install a new version.  It would be nice to have a clear
> notion of how to handle an upgrade path with legacy users' "learned"
> interactions.
>
> Has the upgrade case in terms of keyboard and interaction been thought
> about?  Do we currently write these out somewhere in the user's setup,
> and deal with them appropriately when upgrading?

Yes.  We store all customized key bindings in the user configuration,
and migrate them when upgrading, so that the users won't lose their
custom key bindings in the newer versions.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc
<kyoshida at novell.com>