[Libreoffice] file name glob filter

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Tue Apr 5 10:22:33 PDT 2011

At 7:02am -0400 Tue, 05 Apr 2011, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 12:52 -0400, Kevin Hunter wrote:
>> In a similar vein, I would love for a "*.EXT" functionality, where I
>> don't have to click on the filters, but could type in to the location
>
> Ho hum; that starts to do quite some violence to the platform-specific
> file-selector dialogs; doing interactive changes to the filter logic
> while the user types is likely to make the behaviour of these things
> even worse than it is now ;-)
>
> So - in general, I'd rather prefer to see that feature in the platform
> file-selectors (personally), and perhaps (if anyone at all uses it), in
> the built-in LO selector.
>
> Nice feature idea though; be great to see it Gtk+, KDE etc.

Or, put differently, there /is/ a technical reason why not: support from
the native GUI toolkit libraries.  Darn.  I was hoping that the reason I
couldn't see a Q&D path was because I just don't know the Gtk+/KDE APIs
very well.  Alas.

Thanks,

Kevin

P.S. If this does turn out to be possible, and since the earliest I
could even attempt to look at this little feature idea would be late
May, I'll mention that if someone else were to look at this, the
functionality I'm thinking of would be to hit return to update the
dialog box, not to update on each keystroke.