[Libreoffice] FYI: Latest Oracle move wrt to OpenOffice.org

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 10:01:46 PDT 2011

Oracle announce:

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/statements-on-openofficeorg-contribution-to-apache-nasdaq-orcl-1521400.htm

IBM is very happy to be able to continue Symphony without having to
give code back... (they seems to rejoyce at being able to do selective
GPL: i.e what is yours is mine... but what is mine is yours only for
the peice I don't care about and would like you to maintain instead):
http://www.edbrill.com/ebrill/edbrill.nsf/dx/openoffice-moving-to-apache-good-news-for-the-desktop-productivity-market
"The new project at Apache strengthens IBM's ability to continue to
offer our own distributions of productivity tools based on the
OpenOffice code base and make our own contributions to reinforce the
overall community. "

And IBM promise to contribute 'inovative' feature in the future:
"We have done a bunch of innovative things and one-plusses on top of
the OO.o codebase, including accessibility work, the data pilot
engine, and Office 2007 file format compatibility. "

Of course 'innovative'(*) feature like Office 2007 compatibility and
Data Pilot engine are already today in libreoffice...

Norbert

(*) aka IBM notorious NIH syndrome:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_Invented_Here