[Libreoffice] FYI: Latest Oracle move wrt to OpenOffice.org

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Wed Jun 1 13:11:58 PDT 2011

I think this is about licenses.

Under the Apache 2.0 license, I expect we will see contributions from IBM and others for whom reciprocal licenses are toxic.

I recently noticed that the ODF Toolkit Java bits are Apache licensed already, so that is also helpful.

With regard to community, documentation efforts, and other activities, The Document Foundation is a better fit because of its focused approach.  I don't think of Apache as so oriented to desktop software end-user support, QA, etc.  We'll find out.  With regard to experience in OO.o development, I don't know what Oracle's OO.o team, especially those in Germany, will be doing now.  The surfacing of IBM contributors will be helpful though.

There is no reason Apache fixes and contributions can't be merged into LibreOffice the same way that the OO.o changes can come to LibreOffice.  It is not so smooth, and if there is a serious fork that will be problematic.

My concern is that this could be a one-way street.  there is no way LGPL LibreOffice updates can go into the Apache code (unless the MPL avenue works or we choose to dual license with the Apache license as well).

At the moment, I feel a bit conflicted, caught straddling between preference for user discussions and bug submissions here, and my established desire to  develop and contribute code that is acceptable  to Apache-licensed projects.   And hey, Subversion works for me.

- Dennis