[Libreoffice] QA-hints ? -> question for devs !

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Wed Jun 15 02:44:10 PDT 2011

Cor Nouws píše v St 15. 06. 2011 v 09:08 +0200:
> Petr Mladek wrote (13-06-11 11:47)

:-(

> > You might find some ideas at http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA
>
> I know that, thanks. In my experience (many years OOo) working with the
> product random, is a very valuable good way of testing too.

sure; I think that it is even must to do when testing new features.

> And then sometimes a little hint for example to try working around e.g.
> Impress objects, or cursor movement along line (breaks) .. things like that.

Hmm, developers could do hints what should get tested. Unfortunately,
they sometimes does not know about all consequences. If they know, they
would not add bugs ;-)

Well, I am not sure if it is good idea to ask developers to provide such
information at this stage. We do not enough QA force, so most of the
mentioned areas would not be tested. It would just give developers a
false feeling that their change would be throughout tested. They would
be less careful with their changes. It would take them extra time and we
would end with more bugs.

> See my reply to John for some more precise explanation of what I was
> thinking about.

I think thank you could do some testing based on the week commit summary
as suggested by John. You could ask him to improve the lo-commit-stat
script to filter the commits for you. You could watch for a key words,
e.g. implemented, reworked, ... You check for the size of the changes.
Well, even one-line change might break many things...

Also, you might watch
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/3.5 and monitor new
features.

Best Regards,