[Libreoffice] SmART Gallery as integrated part of LibreOffice core

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Wed Oct 26 02:43:09 PDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-25 at 22:50 +0200, Kálmán „KAMI” Szalai wrote:
> We (my friend Tibusz and me) are thinking about to integrate SmART into
> LibreOffice suite. I hope you saw the ligtning talk about SmART. What
> you think about this extension ?

	It captures a really valuable missing piece of functionality, and it'd
be great to have you guys working in the core on this.

> So we have plan to reimplement the SmART Gallery in C++. Of course
> we do this huge task only if there is a chance to make SmART Gallery
> functionality integral part of LibO.

	Right - so, of course, interoperability becomes really important here
too. We want to ensure that the beautiful things we create through your
UI round-trip to Microsoft Office, and ODF.

> Should we create a chart2 like module for SmART or what would be the
> best solution? If our plan get green light from you we need a mentor
> who help us.

	By far the best person here is Thorsten - he has already done quite
some work on implementing some Smart-Art compatible core functionality,
but it is currently missing the UI work necessary to make it useful, and
of course needs lots more improvement. It'd be great to work together on
that.

	Thorsten any chance of some code pointers, sample documents, background
reading etc. for KAMI and Hornyak.

	Really looking forward to seeing this integrated into the core! :-)

	Thanks,

		Michael.